Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Use Wireshark to snif other computers on the same wifi network

From: "Patrick Meissner" <pmeissner () storm ca>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 17:50:24 -0400

Hi;

To verify if your network card can support monitor mode, you can do the
following in KALI;

#airmon-ng start wlan0 (or what ever you adapter is wlan1 etc)

This should put your card in monitor mode if it supports it.  Then do;

#airmon-ng

you should see wlan0 and mon0 as a listing of adapters.

If you see mon0 then you know that the card is capable of monitor modem
and use the mon0 adapter in Wireshark.

Hope that helps.

Hi,

it might also be the network (more precisely: the APs) implement PSPF /
wireless client isolation.
in that case you won't be able to see other stations' traffic anyway. you
might use wifitap (iirc part of Kali, too) to communicate, but sniffing
won't work.

best

Enno