Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: overriding dissector for port 8080

From: Hadriel Kaplan <hadriel.kaplan () oracle com>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2014 10:19:52 -0400

On Apr 4, 2014, at 9:56 AM, John Dill <John.Dill () greenfieldeng com> wrote:

I also noticed a disabled_protos.[ch], so maybe there is a feature to
disable other protocols.  Is there a feature that could be used to hide
protocols I don't need in the Filter Expression (to reduce the list to
simplify the interface to users)?

No, I don't think there's a way to simplify what's in the Filter
Expression dialog short of removing dissectors from Wireshark (probably
more effort than it's worth).

The only reason would be to simplify the interface for test engineers who
like to streamline their process (it would remove the need to constantly
type the protocol abbreviation).  It would happen at the end of the
development cycle if at all.

Can’t you just create some filter macros [1] to do that for you?

[1] http://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsug_html_chunked/ChDisplayFilterMacrosSection.html

-hadriel