Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Gently migrating to Git + Gerrit

From: Gerald Combs <gerald () wireshark org>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 17:30:12 -0700

On 9/20/13 2:15 AM, Graham Bloice wrote:
I believe the Chocolatey install script in a package can put the files
in any location, they just have defaults.  Chocolatey is a machine-wide
package manager and NuGet seems to be more focused on libraries for
specific apps, hence targeting the app source directory.

We have a mix of requirements, the (possibly machine-wide)
infrastructure (VS, cygwin, python, CMake??, etc.) and then the
libraries to link with (gtk, glib, qt etc.) so I'm not certain which
tool is best, but it would seem that as Chocolatey has a wider range
than NuGet it may be more appropriate.

I hadn't realized that Chocolatey falls back to the official NuGet
repositories, i.e. "chocolatey install jquery" downloads the jQuery
package from nuget.org and installs it in C:\Chocolatey\lib. This might
make managing dependencies a lot simpler.

I still haven't looked into CoApp yet.

The part I'm using (AutoPackage) seems to make it easier to create a
properly-laid-out NuGet package but we could probably generate the
.nuspec files ourselves. The OBS → NuGet scripts are at

https://github.com/geraldcombs/wireshark-win-packaging

if anyone wants to play with them.