Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Question regarding cap export from netsh etl using message analyzer

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 11:32:22 -0700

On Oct 21, 2013, at 10:56 AM, Ran Shenhar <ran.shenhar () gmail com> wrote:

I also posted a similar question on Microsoft's Analyzer forum and got the following response:
"Was it on a wireless interface?
Wireshark is missing dissectors for the wireless frame we use when the built-in NDIS driver captures the data.

If they mean "Wireshark doesn't handle the 802.11 radio header for Native Wi-Fi", they're mistaken.  That's what
epan/dissectors/packet-ieee80211-netmon.c does.  I'll mention that to Paul.

 There might also be some other kinds of ETL traffic wireshark can't parse,

Wireshark doesn't handle ETL at all.  Is ETL format documented somewhere?

but the TZSP protocol is something I've seen with wireless data."
(on http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/messageanalyzer/thread/25dcf65d-0d18-4d11-b25a-a5d3aa4a81e9/)

TZSP packets show up for one of two reasons:

        1) you have a pcap or pcap-ng file (*not* a .cap file in native Network Monitor format!) and the link-layer
header type for the file (pcap) or interface (pcap-ng) is 128;

        2) you have UDP packets going to or coming from port 37008 (0x9090).

In the latter case, the packets might not actually be TZSP packets, they might just be non-TZSP UDP packets that happen
to be going to or coming from port 37008.

With all that being said, is there a plan to fix this?

As with many things in Wireshark, there aren't plans, just "somebody decides to fix it at some point" - or nobody does.