Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Idea for faster dissection on second pas

From: Evan Huus <eapache () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 17:08:04 -0400

On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 12:29 PM, Evan Huus <eapache () gmail com> wrote:
On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 11:46 AM, Anders Broman <a.broman () bredband net> wrote:
Just looking at performance in general as I got reports that top of trunk
was slower than 1.8.
Thinking about it fast filtering is more attractive as long as loading isn't
to slow I suppose.
It's quite annoying to wait 2 minutes for a file to load and >=2 minutes on
every filter operation.

Ya. It was quite surprising to me to find out how much data we're
generating and throwing away on each dissection pass. Now I'm
wondering how much of this could be alleviated somehow by a more
efficient tree representation...

The answer is apparently lots :)

I tweaked some things in r52568, r52569 and r52573 that had a fairly
substantial improvement when dissecting with a tree. "tshark -V" is as
much as 18% faster in my tests, and filtering should improve a little
as well, though that is much harder to measure.

This may or may not fix the complaints you've been getting, but it's a
good improvement to have regardless.

Cheers,
Evan