Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: capture_file* in dissector code

From: mmann78 () netscape net
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 11:25:41 -0500 (EST)

I don't think the GUI should have any specific dissector knowledge unless "absolutely necessary" (separating "business
logic" from UI).  I know that's not how all the code is written now, but I think it's something to strive for,
especially with the switch to qt (and how I've interpreted some of Gerald's comments about not just doing a "straight
port" of some of the GTK+ GUI functionality)

I think "decode as" as a concept should be generic enough to not have to write specific GUI dialogs for each dissector
that wants one, thus possibly requiring "dissector knowledge" in the form of specific packet_info members or "external"
APIs from the dissector strictly for the GUI.  Which sort of puts it in a layer between dissection and GUI, so I
thought that meant "epan directory".

Currently the Decode As feature has to ask "do I have a packet of type X to do a decode as operation on?".  One of the
answers to that question is "check pinfo->mpls_label" for MPLS packets.  I think the MPLS dissector should use
p_get_proto_data() instead of pinfo->mpls_label in a "decode as callback" to determine if a packet contains MPLS,
rather than add p_get_proto_data() to the Decode As GUI.  I believe  p_get_proto_data/p_add_proto_data can be used to
replace the mpls_label member in the packet_info structure, but I don't like the idea of the GUI calling it.