Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: GSoC 2013 Project Proposal for Root permissions in wireshark

From: Mohana Sai <mohanasai.26 () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 11:05:03 +0530

Most systems running Wireshark aren't Linux systems.

    Thanks. As in the ideas page the statement read " a way to capture
packets on Linux and OS X" , only linux came to my mind.

BTW, TShark and Wireshark currently communicate with dumpcap using an,
err, umm, pipe....

Currenlty in debian systems dumpcap will be running with elevated
privileges and the users who want to capture the live packets are added to
the wireshark group by the administrator. Is there a need to change this as
part of the project? It is allowing the users with minimal interaction to
capture the packets, only the administrator has to do some work of adding
the users.

 Can you just direct me to the other linux systems which do not support
this privilege separation?

Thanks,
MohanaSai Cherukuri