Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Getting "undefined symbol" with latest build from SVN

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 13:13:38 -0700

On May 25, 2013, at 12:27 PM, Alexander Koeppe <format_c () online de> wrote:

since a few days, after I updated and recompiled the sources via SVN, I
get the following error when trying to start wireshark:

   symbol lookup error: ../../tmp/wireshark/bin/wireshark: undefined
symbol: epan_dissect_packet_contains_field

You have only one "wireshark" executable image on your system, right?

If not, then:

P.S.
I generated my Makefiles with
   ./configure --prefix=/home/user/tmp/wireshark
.
Then I start with /home/user/tmp/wireshark/bin/wireshark. Maybe it matters.

...perhaps you have a post-r49530 binary of Wireshark that's finding a pre-r49530 binary of the libwireshark library;
r49530 introduced that routine and made the "follow SSL stream" code use it to check whether the current packet was an
SSL packet or not.