Wireshark mailing list archives

Catch called dissector error....

From: Sebastiano Di Paola <sebastiano.dipaola () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 13:09:01 +0100

Hi all,
I would like to know if there is a way to call a dissector and check it's
return value..I mean the behavior I would like to achieve is the
following...
I have a blob of data that usually is json, but I don't have any chance to
know it without trying to parse it...
So I would like to do...

<snip>
decode other part of the packet and create the subtree where to append the
maybe json data...

try {
    decode the blob
}
catch {
    cannot decode...maybe it's not json..or wrongly formatted
    and then append to the current "subtree" as a blob
}

Is it possible to do it ? I mean trap the json dissector error/execption
and then append the undecode/unkonw data as unknown to the same subtree?

Kind regards.
Ciao.
Seba