Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Bluetooth SBC codec in RTP Player

From: Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan () acmepacket com>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 15:36:53 +0000

On Mar 27, 2013, at 6:38 AM, Michal.Labedzki () tieto com wrote:

2) Why destroy the G729/G723 support? Even though it's not in there, they're
hooks for having it there.

As I know license of this library (G729/G723)  does not allow the linking with Wireshark. Instead of there is plugin
easy_codec doing that in right way.
Where that hooks are (HAVE_G729_G723 is never used)? I see that it is hack to manually download, merge source codes
and compile them statically with Wireshark.
Maybe open source implementation of that codecs should be used?

The problem with including audio or video codec decoders is you enter the lovely world of patents. I assume this is why
they have not been included in Wireshark's distribution so far.

G.729 is covered by patents for which a license is required, usually requiring royalty payments.

When you say "G.723" - if you mean G.723.1, then that's covered by patents too.  If you really mean just "G.723", I
doubt it's under patents since it's so old, but it's also not used by anyone as far as I know. (most people say "G.723"
but they almost always mean G.723.1)

Bluetooth SBC used to be covered by a patent too (EP0400755), but it expired, so it's probably safe. (IANAL though)

-hadriel