Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Proposed Gerrit workflow (was: Re: Notes from Sharkfest '13)

From: Evan Huus <eapache () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 12:11:45 -0400

On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 12:03 PM, Bálint Réczey <balint () balintreczey hu> wrote:
Hi Martin,

2013/6/22 Martin Kaiser <lists () kaiser cx>:
Thus wrote Bálint Réczey (balint () balintreczey hu):

I have started describing a Gerrit based workflow which IMO would fit
to the project at http://wiki.wireshark.org/Development/Workflow .
Please check it and share your opinion.

would that mean that even the most basic change needs peer review and
approval based on the process defined by gerrit?

I'm a bit worried that this doubles the time for such simple changes.  I
often see this in corporate environments where people don't correct
typos, misleading variable names, formatting etc. because they can't be
bothered with the administrative overhead.
I think it depends on the people involved. In an environment similar to what
you described I collected several small changes in short reviewable commits and
asked for peer review for the set together.

We can relax the rules for Core Developers to let them bypass the peer review,
but I did not want to include this exception in the first proposal.
Speaking of myself I would be OK with requiring peer review for all my commits,
but it is not a surprise since I wrote the first version of the proposal. ;-)

I think to start it would be good if core could bypass peer review
(assuming the builds/tests passed of course), just so we don't change
the workflow too much at once. After people are used to that maybe we
can look at requiring peer-review again, but not for a while.

And of course if it's a big change you don't have to bypass
peer-review, you can use Gerrit it you want feedback (which will be
much nicer than trying to read the patches on Bugzilla).

What I'm really looking forward to in the proposed Gerrit work-flow is
the ability of having my changes
tested on architectures I don't use _before_ applying them to the main branch.

+1

---

One of the concerns Gerald raised at Sharkfest was that self-hosted
Git and Gerrit and potentially Jenkins is a *lot* more infrastructure
for him to maintain than simply a GitHub repo.