Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Duplicate HTTPS requests from iOS

From: Sake Blok <sake () euronet nl>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 20:59:42 +0200

On 31 jul 2013, at 18:01, Samuel Vogel wrote:
2013/7/31 Sake Blok <sake () euronet nl>
On 31 jul 2013, at 17:03, Samuel Vogel wrote:
2013/7/31 Sake Blok <sake () euronet nl>
On 30 jul 2013, at 19:21, Samuel Vogel wrote:

I'm debugging a situation where we see duplicate HTTPS requests from iOS 5 & 6 devices with nginx 1.4.1. The
first request seems to be cancelled by the client, but the package gets lost and now the new, repeated and the
original request are both executed. This way the article ends up in the shopping cart twice.

Only one request is actually seen by iOS Safari / jQuery. This issue is reproducible most of the time (lets say
75 % of the cases) on two completely different servers with different hosting providers (Hetzner & Host Europe
in Germany) but not with different browsers. It always follows the exact same pattern.
I'm pretty sure this can't be coincidental anymore, but have now idea what could cause this. It would be great
if anybody could have  a look at my capture:

Are you able to share your capture (here or on www.cloudshark.org) and an export of the SSL session keys (File ->
Export -SSL session keys)? There is not enough information in the text output to really help you analyze this
issue.
sure, I've uploaded it here: http://www.cloudshark.org/captures/3e090ddc98f7

Uhmm.. it does not contain the full sessions. Could you upload the whole file? Of at least the full tcp session of
the two requests (look at the stream number in the TCP details and use a filter "tcp.stream==x or tcp.stream==y and
then use "File -> Export Specified Packets...")

sorry, here are both TCP streams:
http://www.cloudshark.org/captures/fceaea90e3b3

OK, I checked the streams. Looking at the RTT of the connection in the 3-way handshake I get about 48ms. I also see
that the trace was made at the server-side. The GET request and the SSL Close Notifiy come into your server only about
100 us apart, so the client (iPad) actively shuts down the connection before waiting on a response. Also the resending
of the request is done only 699 us after the first request, so it could not be a user-action. I suspect there is
something on the site that does not play nice with the iOS Safari browser and makes it abort the request. Do you see
the same behavior with other objects on the site?

Cheers,
Sake