Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Malformed Packet

From: Martin Mathieson <martin.r.mathieson () googlemail com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 19:35:35 +0000

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 7:11 PM, Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:

On Jan 11, 2013, at 5:17 AM, "Ewgenij Sokolovski" <ewgenijkkg () gmx de>
wrote:

Maybe it would be a good idea to change the error output? "Malformed
Packet" is too general and misleading sometimes.

"Malformed packet" is used in some other cases as well.  Either we should
stop putting "Malformed packet" into the protocol tree at all, and put the
real error as the main message rather than the secondary message, or we
should, at least, improve the secondary message(s).  In this particular
case, perhaps "packet is too short" is better than the geeky "exception
occurred".

For example, not the packet could be malformed but the dissector could
be buggy :)

That could be the case for *any* case where the packet dissection claims
there's something wrong with the packet.

I like having malformed in the protocol tree, or at least I like to be able
to use the 'malformed' filter.
Note that it is also added hidden when malformed is used as a type of
expert info.

Martin