Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Packet Loss due to Disk Contention with Running Dumpcap in a high packet rate environment

From: John Powell <jrp999 () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 07:32:29 -0600

Hi Kurt,

I have purchased a 300 GB SSD and a PCI-e Disk Controller.

I am still in the planning stage as to how to set this up.

My initial ideas are to:

   - Leave the SSD on the motherboard Disk Controller
   - Connect the Platter Hard Drives to the PCI-e Disk Controller
   - Send the initial capture files to be stored on the SSD
   - Use RSync to move the files from the SSD to the Platter Hard Drives (
   --remove-source-files )
   (this is required as I am receiving 1.5 TB a day and the SSD is only 300
   GB)
   (
   http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-use-rsync-transfer-mirror-files-directories.html
   )
   (
   http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-unix-bsd-appleosx-rsync-delete-file-after-transfer/
   )
   (
   http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/12198/preserve-the-permissions-with-rsync
   )
   (
   http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9586798/rsync-over-ssh-preserve-ownership-only-for-www-data-owned-files
   )
   (http://www.comentum.com/rsync.html)
   - Investigate limiting the Bandwidth of RSync to reduce contention on
   the Platter Drives if required.
   (http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/throttle-disk-io-rate-limit-disk-io/)

Thoughts?

-John