Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: changing the time

From: Martin Mathieson <martin.r.mathieson () googlemail com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 09:58:20 +0000

I don't know if overriding the time is a good idea - but I'm not sure what
would go wrong.

You can add any field as a column by right-clicking on the field and
choosing 'Apply as Column'.  I do this with the log files my company uses -
we have a timestamp field in our file format that ends up being dissected
(see hf_catapult_dct2000_timestamp in packet-catapult-dct2000.c).

I find it tedious to try to analyse a file that is not in the correct order
though, and it can interfere with sequence analysis that dissectors can do.
 If it is easy to find/parse the timestamp, I would consider writing a
console wiretap program, based upon reordercap, that would:
- read the frames in, but overwriting the timestamp with a value derived
from the timestamp parsed from your frames
- sort the frames by this timestamp
- write sorted frames to an output file

Of course, I don't really know what you are doing, and whether seeing the
original capture time is also useful....

Martin