Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Save meta data to pcap-ng file during first pass dissection in Wireshark?

From: Anders Broman <anders.broman () ericsson com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 08:28:30 +0000

-----Original Message-----
From: wireshark-dev-bounces () wireshark org [mailto:wireshark-dev-bounces () wireshark org] On Behalf Of Jaap Keuter
Sent: den 24 januari 2013 08:27
To: Developer support list for Wireshark
Subject: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Save meta data to pcap-ng file during first pass dissection in Wireshark?

Hi,

Interesting note. There's a basic architectural problem though, which hinders us now and also with this option. >It's
that reassembly can take place at multiple protocol layers, and these boundaries not always line up (think >TCP).
There is no sure fire way to define 'the reassembled packets' since it depends on the protocol layer you are
looking at.

I'm not sure this would be a major show stopper I imagine the "reasembled_data_option" content to be as the reassembled
buffer currently used.

Besides that, storing and reading from a file, is slower than memory access, so that won't help. It would help >the
memory footprint (after the first pass).

Yes this is a concern but we do read the packet back from file on the second pass any way, we might save
Memory on the first pass to as we only need to keep the fragments arount untill we can write them to file.
Opening a reassembled file and using it might be faster as reassembly is done.

Another worry when thinking about it some more is file formats other than pcap/ng, not sure if they will cause problems.

Regards
Anders