Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Supply decibels in the "RSSI" column, when that's all we have for an 802.11 capture?

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 14:40:40 -0800

On Feb 12, 2013, at 11:38 AM, Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:

Would it be useful to have the RSSI column display:

      the RSSI number, as is, if "RSSI" as a raw number, rather than as a signal strength in dB, was supplied;

      the dB number, followed by "dB", if dB from some arbitrary (unknown) reference point was supplied;

      the dB number, followed by "dBm", if dBm was supplied

...and as a percentage if that's what it is.

Yes, it would, and, in fact, except for the "as a percentage" and, for the PPI header the "followed by "dBm"", that's
exactly what we've been doing.  I've fixed those items.