Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Replacing g_iconv and different codesets

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 11:15:25 -0800

On Dec 20, 2013, at 10:46 AM, Michael Lum <michael.lum () starsolutions com> wrote:

Is there a goal to remove g_iconv calls from Wireshark.

I'd certainly like to do so to the maximum extent possible.  I would like to have *all* code set handling done by using
ENC_ arguments to proto_tree_add_item() or tvb_get_string_enc().

The code in dissectors would be much simpler, it wouldn't depend on particular g_iconv() implementations handling
particular character sets, and it would allow us to handle invalid strings as we choose.

I checked charsets.c/.h and there are two encodings that are not available that are used in the ANSI SMS dissector.

iso-8859-8 (Latin/Hebrew) is pretty easy to add I believe I can follow the pattern for the code that is there now.

Yes, the ISO 8859-x character sets and encodings are fairly straightforward.

The other is EUC-KR (Korean).  I tried to find a code page that looks like the ISO ones but I'm not how these
conversions are supposed to work.

DBCS encodings, such as the EUC encodings, will be more work, but we should do them eventually as well.