Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Gently migrating to Git + Gerrit

From: Evan Huus <eapache () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 14:21:12 -0400

On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 2:11 PM, Gerald Combs <gerald () wireshark org> wrote:
On 8/6/13 4:18 AM, Bálint Réczey wrote:

Currently all the library archives are stored in SVN and if we simply convert it
to Git anyone cloning the repository would have to download all the libs ever
checked in (unless using git clone --depth which imposes other limitations).
Handling binary files is not exactly where Git shines. There is a
separate project,
git-annex to support using Git helping file storage, but Windows support is not
perfect according to the project's page [1].

Regarding the libraries I think it would probably be enough to use a
downloadable
.zip file containing a snapshot of the needed Windows libraries
instead of cloning
a Subversion/Git repository to the machine. The scripts maintaining the snapshot
could be stored in Git, of course, but I'm not sure if rethinking the
library installation
should happen before moving the main codebase to Gerrit.

Good point. Ultimately I'd like to get out of the third party package
business. At Sharkfest Graham mentioned that Nuget
(http://www.nuget.org/) is starting to gain popularity as a way to
package development libraries for Windows. I'm hoping we can migrate
from what we currently have to a set of scripts that generate packages
and upload them to Nuget.org.

Similarly on Mac, it would be nice if the macosx-setup.sh script could
as much as possible be replaced with a set of homebrew packages (or
some other equivalent).