Wireshark mailing list archives

Subject: The field called Command Sequence Number in the SMB2 dissector is actually the Message ID

From: "Turney, Cal" <cal.turney () emc com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 10:53:17 -0400

Hi Richard,

That confusion has probably caused one of the WAN Accelerator companies to break SMB2 Signing by mishandling that
field. Not sure which one it is, since the customer hasn't told me whose WAN Accelerator they use. (Hint, it is
possible for those numbers to be out of order in a TCP stream.)

I agree with changing the label to "SMB2 Message ID" but unless the WAN Accelerator uses Wireshark to decode SMB2
traffic which seems very unlikely, I don't think the old label would make any difference.  Even if it does use
Wireshark, it would probably use the 'smb2.seq_num' filter rather than dumping the frame or capture to a text file and
searching for "SMB2 Message ID".  The latter operation would defeat the purpose of the device because throughput would
be greatly reduced.

Cheers,

Cal