Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Memory consumption in tshark

From: Dario Lombardo <dario.lombardo.ml () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 15:31:31 +0200

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 1:29 PM, Evan Huus <eapache () gmail com> wrote:

It's dependant on platform and setup, but I'll assume a from-source build
on Linux. In theory all you have to do is prefix your normal command with
"libtool --mode=execute valgrind --tool=massif" and then the usual ./tshark
etc.

Valgrind takes a bunch more memory though, so you'll almost certainly want
to use editcap to split the capture, and then run this on just a subset.

It will produce an output file massif.out.PID which you can pass to the
ms_print command for human-readable output. That output would be useful to
us.

I'm attaching the output. I've run it on a 1GB pcap file.