Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Display filter and/or precedence

From: Evan Huus <eapache () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 14:46:55 -0400

On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 2:41 PM, Gerald Combs <gerald () wireshark org> wrote:
Laura Chappell and Sean Walberg recently discovered that logical OR
takes precedence over logical AND in display filters. Is there any
reason we shouldn't reverse this so that we match the order of
operations elsewhere (including BPF)?

The fact they had to *discover* this is probably indicative of
something, but +1 for being consistent with the rest of the world.

Should we add a bitwise OR as well?

Until now I didn't even know we had bitwise AND, but I think it makes sense :)

Just my two cents,
Evan