Wireshark mailing list archives

Arbitrary capture sources

From: Indula Nayanamith <indula.mrt () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 17:11:58 +0530

HI,
I am studying at  Department of Computer Science and engineering, University
of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka. I am interested in network and system work. I am
using wire shark frequently for my ccna studies. Also I am good with c
programming.
I read your idea page for GSOC and i was interested in Arbitrary capture
sources project as it will be important for many. I  am not very good with
python or ruby but i am sure i can master it quickly.
I am confident with little guidance and smart work i can complete this and
contribute to wireshark community. i went through the dumpcap code and i
feel that i can play with it. I get the idea but the work flow is n't very
clear to me. it will be a great help if you can point me to the correct
track.
Can you please clear me these details
1. do i need to rewrite dumpcap or create a new lib
2. To have external sources we need to have a API do you have a API like
that
3. insight on Control message
4. any assistance on how to start
thank you in advance