Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Can't decrypt "snakeoil2" sample SSL session from wiki

From: Sake Blok <sake () euronet nl>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 22:32:43 +0200

On 10 sep 2012, at 22:02, Grant Edwards wrote:

I've been trying (and failing) to decrypt an SSL session using my
server and key.  So, I backed up a step and downloaded the
snakeoil2_070531.tgz sample file from the wiki:

 http://wiki.wireshark.org/SampleCaptures?action=AttachFile&do=view&target=snakeoil2_070531.tgz

I can't get that to decrypt either
[...]
Below is the ssl debug log that gets created when I run

$ wireshark rsasnakeoil2.cap

One line that looks suspicious is where it says

ssl_decrypt_pre_master_secret wrong pre_master_secret length (128, expected 48)

Any ideas on what's wrong?

Usually that means that you are using a private key that does not match the certificate. But it is the 3rd time I hear
problems (on Linux) with decrypting the traffic with a key that is indeed matching the certificate. It might be the
version of your SSL libraries that has a bug. Or Wireshark has a bug in the linux version. Could you file a bugreport
on https://bugs.wireshark.org?

Cheers,
Sake