Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Feature Request: Sync Capture Time to NTP packets

From: Evan Huus <eapache () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 10:16:11 -0400

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 12:54 AM, Jeff Klingler <jklingler () gmail com> wrote:
Hi,

Kudos to all you developers for such a great tool!  I did a brief
search and couldn't find any discussion of a feature I would like to
see added:

Sync the capture time in a file relative to the time settings found in
an NTP server responses.  Maybe select a particular server, or a
particular NTP response packet, right click and say "Time Shift".

This would be magical for those packet captures where you don't
control the system clock.

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the idea, it does sound useful in certain situations. I
would appreciated it if you could file an enhancement request for it
on bugzilla [1], as emails on the mailing-list tend to be forgotten
about after a while.

That's not to say that someone is guaranteed to look at it if it's on
bugzilla - we're mostly volunteers after all - but it stands a much
better chance. And of course we always accept patches if you want to
code it yourself :)

Cheers,
Evan

[1] https://bugs.wireshark.org/bugzilla/