Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Disabling a dissector doesn't seem to quite work.

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer () loplof de>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 09:49:01 +0200

On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 03:44:59PM -0700, Guy Harris wrote:
My understanding of dissectors registering to port 0 was simply a method for
allowing "Decode As" to work.

The right way for a dissector to say "I run atop {TCP,UDP,...} but I don't have a standard port number, so use
"Decode As..."" is to call dissector_add() with a dissector handle and a dissector table name.

As dissector_add happens to be a) used nowhere and b) #defined to dissector_add_uint,
that may have been the case but is definitely not what today's code looks like.

If there's no opposition, I will remove that #define.

Ciao
 Jörg

--
Joerg Mayer                                           <jmayer () loplof de>