Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Interface names on Windows

From: Jakub Zawadzki <darkjames-ws () darkjames pl>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 00:08:02 +0100

Hi,

On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 10:25:30PM +0000, Graham Bloice wrote:
I've been hacking around trying to improve the display of interface names
on Windows.

Currently there are 3 components displayed in various dialogs and command
line responses; the interface "guid"
(\Device\NPF_{C2E403B5-FAD0-479C-96FD-0E44EB22CD74}), the interface
description from WinPCap (Intel(R) 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection) and
the Wireshark friendly name as supplied by the user (the comment set in the
Preferences | Interface Options).

There is also a fourth possible component; the "friendly" name assigned to
the interface in the Control Panel "Network Connections" applet.  This is
held in the registry and is easily retrieved given the interface "guid" and
a few lines of code.

Personally I don't find the interface "guid" or the interface description
(often just "Microsoft") of much use, and the other two components are
somewhat mutually exclusive as they can both be set by the user and hence
likely to be similar.

Has anyone got any preferences for which components should be displayed,
and in what order?

if user description:
  - not set than: format("%s (%s)", friendly_name, interface_description)
  - set: only user descr.

Anyway such code should imho go to winpcap.

Regards,
 Jakub.