Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: ATM over Ethernet

From: Alex Bennée <kernel-hacker () bennee com>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2012 11:53:54 +0000

On 6 November 2012 20:26, Jakub Zawadzki <darkjames-ws () darkjames pl> wrote:
Hi,

On Mon, Nov 05, 2012 at 12:14:31PM +0000, Alex Bennee wrote:
We use a fairly simple ATM over Ethernet encapsulation for linking old
ATM based circuits with modern Ethernet based hardware.

Googling for 0x8884 I has found that it's already defined as
ETH_P_ATMFATE (full name: Frame-based ATM Transport over Ethernet)

Oh noes, ID clash ;-0

I'm not sure if the choice of ethertype was deliberate, it's lost in
the mists of time for the atmoe driver I'm using.

and there's some specification at
http://www.broadband-forum.org/ftp/pub/approved-specs/af-fbatm-0139.001.pdf

Is this the same protocol?

It looks similar but in our case no. Although the packing is the same
FATE adds some additional functionalities.

If yes maybe dissector should be called FATE rather than ATMoE?

I suspect a separate FATE dissector would look pretty similar except
for the message handling.

--
Alex, homepage: http://www.bennee.com/~alex/
http://www.half-llama.co.uk