Wireshark mailing list archives

Experiencing Packet Loss in High Volume Packet Capture Application using DUMPCAP

From: John Powell <jrp999 () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 16:31:05 -0600

Hi Everyone,

I am running CentOS 6.3 on a HP 8200 using 3TB WD Green drives using a EXT4
file system.

I am using Wireshark 1.8.2 compiled from source.

I am using DUMPCAP to rotate and store historical Packet Captures.

Whether I capture the packets with Wireshark or view the DUMPCAP created
file, I see dropouts in the packets being captured.

I tried to turning off journalling but this did not seem to help much:

umount /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol_Data

/sbin/tune2fs -o journal_data_writeback /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol_Data

/sbin/tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol_Data

/sbin/e2fsck -f /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol_Data

I have a attached a couple of IOGraphs from Wireshark showing the packet
drops.

Thanks alot!

-John