Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Regarding wireshark design

From: Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 04:37:47 -0700

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 4:28 AM, Singh, Anand <Anand.Singh () landisgyr com> wrote:
Hi,
               Can you please let me know how does it talk with raw packets. Is it using existing
TCP stack or is it directly communication with lower level drivers like phy/Mac layer. &
Where do I find that code section where we accessing raw buffers.

Sigh. It is all in the documentation.

If we are capturing off the wire, then I believe that it uses
dumpcap.c and does not talk to packet sockets or anything like that.
It actually links to libpcap.

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe