Wireshark mailing list archives

About the ip address -host name conversion module in wireshark

From: nangergong <nangergong () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 12:00:29 +0200

HI, all:

     I noticed that wireshark can show the host name(or website url) for an
ip address precisely. I need such a function which can convert an IP
address to the host name precisely. With linux command "whois", the result
is very coarse. Can anyone tell how wireshark did the conversion and can I
write some scripts or a small program to do this? I mean the input is an IP
address while the output is a host name or URL, Thanks!