Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Store selected Wireshark prefs in pcapng capture file ?

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 12:16:48 -0800

On Mar 5, 2012, at 11:03 AM, Anders Broman wrote:

I think there is two paths that can be taken either add options and/or blocks as needed to the file format or
encode the comment in some way, using the preferences simple format is one option.
I'm leaning towards using the comments somehow. One could have Wireshark begin/end tags for
other programs to skip that part of the comments.

I presume you don't mean "store them in opt_comment options", as other apps should not have to know about special tags
in comments to indicate that they're not really comments.

I'd go for registering a "wireshark preferences" option and just have it store raw preferences-file text; we'd also
want, I think, another option for UATs, with the name of the UAT and its contents.