Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: gsm system information parsing

From: Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 14:32:17 +0100

2012/3/14 Tom Mayer <ran-kun () gmx de>

Hi everyone,

I have been working on a mobile project for university and have used
wireshark together with the osmocombb framework analyze gsm traffic.

In my project I get the raw System Information 2/2ter/2bis messages and I
need to extract the neighbouring cell information from it. The format is
supposed to be specified in GSM 04.08 but it is only a partly description
and it seems I cannot find a full desscription.

I have seen wireshark has a parser for this, at least it dispolays the
neighbouring cells extracted from a System Information message. Can anybody
give me a hint to where to find the respective parsing code in the
wireshark code (pretty unfamiliar with the wireshark codebase) or where to
find the full specifications.

Thanks in advance
Cheers
Tom

Hi Tom,

The code in Wireshark can be found in epan/dissectors/packet-gsm_a_rr.c
The corresponding 3GPP specification is 44.018:
http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/Specs/html-info/44018.htm

Regards,
Pascal.