Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Coding convention query

From: Bill Meier <wmeier () newsguy com>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2012 10:39:39 -0400

On 7/6/2012 10:05 AM, Jeff Morriss wrote:
Arun Sharma wrote:
Does in coding convention, it Limit lines to 79 characters?

I have gone through README.developer but didn't find any such
restriction.
Even when i see some codes, packet-tcp.c etc, some or most lines does
not limit to 79 characters.
Could anyone confirm me on this. Thanks in advance.

There is not, AFAIK, a rule (hard or soft) on this.  I generally just
try to use the style of the file I'm currently viewing.  If I'm writing
a new module, personally, I tend to limit the lines to 79/80 columns.

(A colleague once convinced me of the benefit of 8-space tabs plus an
80-column limit: if you find yourself running out of room on the right
then it means your code is too complicated/nested and you need to rework
it, possibly breaking it into sub-functions.  Wireshark, with its
very_long_function_names() does tend to make such an approach difficult
though...)

FWIW: the current distribution of (tab expanded) line lengths for all the .c files in epan/dissectors is as follows: :)

Length  Count   PerCent CumPercent
0-9     559783  24%     24%
10-19   219988  9%      33%
20-29   256237  11%     44%