Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Adding a new menu in the MenuBar

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 16:46:37 -0400

Richard Sharpe wrote:
On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 10:28 AM, Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws () gmail com> wrote:
Richard Sharpe wrote:
On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 10:15 PM, Tony Trinh <tony19 () gmail com> wrote:
On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 1:01 AM, Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe () gmail com> wrote:
Hi folks,

I would like to add a new menu in the Menubar, like "Menubar/Blah" and
place it before help, and after the tools menu (and probably before
Internals).

I would like to do it from Lua.

I think I can see how to do this, but I wonder if anyone else has done
that before?

WSLua does not support adding main menus. Currently, you can only add submenus to
existing menus.
You are correct. The problem would seem to be twofold:

1. There is no function for doing that, and

2. In ui/gtk/funnel_stat.c, the stat_group_name function contains a
static value_string of the relationships between values like
REGISTER_STAT_GROUP_UNSORTED and the string to use for the menu item.

Functions/methods would have to be added to allow new menu items to be
added to allow the addition of whole new menus, but
register_lua_menu_bar_menu_items and its subsidiary functions seem
capable of this, as well as functions/methods to enter new values in
VALS_GROUP_NAMES and to retrieve the index based on the string.
I had to make a bunch of changes to this code (in r41591) to get the Lua
menus working again.  And I wasn't terribly happy with the result; it
seems quite a bit of a mess to me.  But I didn't have a better idea at
the time...

Sure. I don't really have any criticism of your work. I would only
suggest that VALS_GROUP_NAMES should be all lower case so that it does
not look like a macro etc, unless, that is, there is a rule covering
this case.

In addition, I think that what is there is fine for current needs.

I just have new needs, which I think others might have as well.

I just wanted to mention it in case you're going rework the code.

I renamed that value_string in r43627.