Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: How to identify voice traffic while passing through unconventional protocols such as DNS, SSL, SSLv3, IPA, RPCAP, RTMP

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 12:27:13 -0800

On Jan 6, 2012, at 10:43 AM, Azhar Chowdhury wrote:

We have been observing there are voice traffic passing unconventional
protocols such as the DNS, SSL, SSLv3, IPA, RPCAP, RTMP in our ISP
data pipes.
To identify this it takes long analysis in wireshark, is there any
easy way to identify voice data with source & destip using tshark or
other CLI based tool(s)?

I doubt it.  If people are using tricks such as the voice-over-DNS stuff Dan Kaminsky talked about (stuffing
compressed-out-the-wazoo voice into TXT RRs - see slide 28 in the PowerPoint presentation at

        http://www.blackhat.com/presentations/bh-usa-04/bh-us-04-kaminsky/bh-us-04-kaminsky.ppt

), i.e. stuffing voice into protocols not designed for voice, that's probably going to require either an algorithm
running in meatware (as in "takes long analysis in Wireshark", presumably meaning "somebody's sitting in front of
Wireshark trying to figure out what the heck is going on in the session) or a fairly sophisticated algorithm that
could, say, identify Speex-encoded voice stuffed inside DNS TXT RRs.