Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Strange decoding?

From: wiresharkusers () synerity com
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 11:39:26 +0100

Hi,

  I  haven't  looked  at  the  source  code,  but I guess Wireshark reads the IP
  version  information  in  the  IP  header (contained in the first byte of the IP header),
  which  is 6 in packet #6, and that probably overrides the ethertype.

Regards,
Jasper

Hello,

I have a faulty equipement sending IPv6 packets with ethertype 0x0800 (IPv4).
Nevertheless Wireshark decodes it as IPv6. (check packet #6 of the joined file).

It seems strange to me, I thought Wireshark uses ethertype for decoding, or
least selecting the disector, but it does not seems to be the case. And even
if Wireshark uses an other method I would have like it to warn me.

Could someone explain to me why this behaviour?

Regards.
Vincent

Je crée ma boîte mail www.laposte.net