Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Meeting minutes from (pre)FOSDEM meeting

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer () loplof de>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2012 11:00:23 +0100

On Fri, Feb 03, 2012 at 05:35:06PM +0100, Jaap Keuter wrote:
On backporting, I did a lot of that stuff for 1.4.11. From my
experience, when the patch is clean the backport is easy.
Trouble is is that the patch comes from another trunk, which may have
other changes (like ENCodings) which make patches incompatible.
A little (or a lot of) tweaking of the patch makes them apply, but this
cannot be automated. So thinking about automation is a step too far.
Another way of tagging/marking revisions would 1. require a script to
extract the tags/marks, and 2. commit messages cannot be corrected once
a mistake is made.

The idea (as I see it) would work as follows:
- We (well Gerald :) want to make a new release 1.6.n+1
- Obtain the svn revision of 1.6.n
- Go through the changelog of all patches to trunk since that
  commit up to HEAD.
- Determine all commits that have the backport magic in the commit message
- Extract all these patches into individual files with their revision numbers
  in the name. Create a corresponding file with the original commit message
  (maybe with the backport magic removed).
Up until this point, everything can be automated.
For every patchfile:
- Apply the patch and make fixes if necessary.
- Commit using the commit file.

This would reduce the overhead of the backporting process for Gerald.

As flawed as it is, the Wiki is the best we got so far. Other tools (who
uses Trac, or that other one I can't remember right now) may provide
this.

I see this differently, as stated above ;-)

Ciao
    Jörg

Teaser: I have a writeup of the Dinnertalks and FOSDEM Beer Event on my
  laptop, but maybe there will be more during today.
--
Joerg Mayer                                           <jmayer () loplof de>