Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: RFD: Creating subdirectories in epan/dissectors/

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice () trihedral com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 14:45:19 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: wireshark-dev-bounces () wireshark org [mailto:wireshark-dev-
bounces () wireshark org] On Behalf Of Evan Huus
Sent: 30 August 2012 14:31
To: Developer support list for Wireshark
Subject: Re: [Wireshark-dev] RFD: Creating subdirectories in
epan/dissectors/

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 9:23 AM, Roland Knall <rknall () gmail com> wrote:
Hi

Would you like to enforce a value for the minimum number of subsequent
files in the subdirectories?

I would assume you'd need 5 or 6 files at least to make a folder
worthwhile,
but I don't think that's a hard rule. None of the groups proposed for
the initial
run have less than 14.

As I wrote the opensafety package, I would like to split it up a
little bit to make it more maintainable, as well as include two new
subdissectors, which use the openSAFETY protocol, but are not
necessarily part of it.

For the subdissectors, it depends on how tightly they are bound to
opensafety. If they could theoretically be carried on other protocols as
well
then they shouldn't be grouped with it, but if they are restricted to
opensafety (in the sense that they use some special fields or features
of
opensafety and so actually couldn't be carried on, say, TCP, without
changing
the protocol), then they can logically be grouped with it. Again,
probably not
a hard rule, but a good guideline.

[Graham Bloice said]

Some folks have articulated the drawbacks (to them) of making these
changes but I haven't seen any actual advantages listed.  Can anyone list
them as they see it?