Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: RFD: Creating subdirectories in epan/dissectors/

From: Evan Huus <eapache () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2012 12:18:12 -0400

On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 9:31 AM, Steve Karg <skarg () users sourceforge net> wrote:
Hello Joerg,

[snip]
What I'd like to do is put these dissectors that belong *to a single protocol*
into a subdirectory of that name, i.e. move them to
[snip]
xmpp/packet-other.c
xmpp/packet-other.h
xmpp/packet-utils.c
xmpp/packet-utils.h

These kind of file names could be in every protocol...

What do you think?

Based on experience with another open source C project where I did
segregate files into sub-folders and tried to simplify the file names
by utilizing sub-directories, you will likely have file naming
conflicts between protocols if you remove the protocol name from the
file.  C file names must be unique in the build (for most compilers
and linkers that I have used).

Hmmm... why not do something more like:

xmpp/xmpp-other.c
xmpp/xmpp-other.h
xmpp/xmpp-utils.c
xmpp/xmpp-utils.h

I've never understood why they're all prefixed with packet- anyways,
the fact that they're in epan/dissectors should be enough?

Cheers,
Evan