Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Wireshark-commits: [Wireshark-commits] rev 44161: /trunk/epan/dissectors/ /trunk/epan/dissectors/: packet-gmr1_bcch.c packet-gmr1_common.c packet-gmr1_rr.c

From: Sylvain Munaut <246tnt () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 21:15:52 +0200

Hi Pascal,

If you check the mailing list archive you will see that I also raised
this issue regarding filter names for protocols split across several
files. See http://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-dev/201207/msg00258.html
for the mail exchange.

Yes, I've seen this (I replied in the same email thread :)

So far only Michael and myself have expressed our opinion on those
"meta" protocols split across several files. Personally I preferred
the previous filter scheme despite the warnings generated by the
checkfiltername.pl script. It would be good if other people were also
giving their feeling (as you did) so that we can decide once for all
whether the dissectors or the script must be changed for this use case
and try to stick to this decision in the future.

As I said, I didn't take the decision lightly, I hesitated between
both options (and actually you can even see the rest of a bad 'sed' in
some of those where you find gmr1.rr._xxx ...).

I the end I chose the one that made the most sense and confirmed with
the ML ( http://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-dev/201202/msg00033.html
) and IRC there was no objection. Anders Broman responsed that it
looked reasonable and he's the one who merged them IIRC.

Note that the change was done in the development branch only and that
next stable release from this code base is due in a year so we still
have plenty of time to change things.

That would be nice :P

I don't know all the protocols where this happens but to me having
gmr1_rr.xxx or gmr1_common.xxx makes it believe those are different
protocols which they're not ... GMR-1 is the protocol and then you
have the channel types like CCCH on which you can find messages that
can contain elements from RR/CC/...

And so having the hierarchy  protocol (gmr1) / category of element
(common / rr / cc / ...) makes sense to me. Those category are not
arbitrary either, they're explicitly defined that way in the official
specifications, I'm not making them up.

If someone has a good argument _against_ this, I'd be interested to
hear it. (And the fact the checkscript can't deal with it is not
really a good argument ... at worse we could add meta-tags in the
header of those files to define the prefix allowed to be used)

Cheers,

    Sylvain