Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: DeviceNet dissector

From: Yegor Yefremov <yegorslists () googlemail com>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 15:20:29 +0200

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 1:57 PM, Hans-Jörgen Gunnarsson <Hag () hms se> wrote:
Hello!

We are trying to develop a dissector for DeviceNet. We want it to work in
Windows and have made some progress. We have constructed software that takes
DeviceNet messages from the CAN-network through an IXXAT USB-to-CAN-dongle
and transforms them to Ethernet where it can be picked up by Wireshark.
Every message gets a special OUI that the dissector uses to pick them up.

For wireshark we have constructed a plugin that picks up the messages and
partly decodes them. The problem is that it might be better to pick the
DeviceNet-messages directly from the dongle into Wireshark. Perhaps through
SocketCAN or something like that. That way we could pick it up, send it to
the DeviceNet dissector, dissect what can be dissected and then add bodytype
information and send it through to the CIP dissector.

We haven’t found a good way to do this though. Do you have any ideas or
thoughts?

Is your project related to this discussion?
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.network.wireshark.devel/25318

Yegor