Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Kasumi code (Was: rev 44384: ... kasumi.h ...)

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer () loplof de>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 00:13:26 +0200

On Thu, Aug 09, 2012 at 09:49:31PM +0200, Jacob Nordgren wrote:
The reason the code isnt included is because it seems like the actual
algorithm is patented by Mitsubishi.
This was our source for this:
http://www.etsi.org/WebSite/OurServices/Algorithms/3gppalgorithms.aspx

I only see claims that this code is patented: Can anyone please provide
references to the actual patents? The reason why I keep asking this is that
looking at the patent(s) might give us a clue whether these patents actually
apply to wireshark - maybe they only apply to UMTS etc because of their
wording. E.g. in one case I have seen, the patent was limited to the sending
side.

And as far as i can tell you need permission in order to implement it, but
im not a lawyer.

No, you don't need a license to *implement* a patented algorithm, you need
a license to *use (run)* it.

About the copyright part, we have our own implementation  (KASUMI and F8
are fairly easy to implement), but the current svn code is adapted so that
people can put ETSIs example code  or something else easily into wireshark
themselves.

OK, that's good news. So the only thing left to do is to convince you
(as a placeholder for the people who get to make the decision) that my
argument above is correct and relevant :-/

Ciao
    Jörg

--
Joerg Mayer                                           <jmayer () loplof de>