Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Calling MAC-LTE dissctor from lua dissector on the rest of te data

From: Martin Mathieson <martin.r.mathieson () googlemail com>
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2012 21:17:56 +0100

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 7:05 PM, Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:

On Jan 18, 2012, at 10:04 PM, Martin Mathieson wrote:

I'm not sure if it will help you, but I just submitted "mac-lte-framed".
 It expects to find the same framing as the UDP heuristic dissector, but
without the IP/UDP header or the magic string.

Should there be a pcap/pcap-ng link-layer header type value (the values
sometimes called "DLTs") assigned for that?  Perhaps there should be, to
allow MAC LTE packets to be stored in pcap or pcap-ng files.

If so, you should submit a request for it to
tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org, with a detailed description of the
pseudo-header for the context data.

Guy,
I would like to do this.  Looking at the other definitions in
http://www.tcpdump.org/linktypes.html, they have quite formal
specifications, so I'm wondering what I would need to do first.

Really all we have is the description in
http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/wireshark/trunk/epan/dissectors/packet-mac-lte.h
(and
the function dissect_mac_lte_context_fields(), and the example program for
encoding a file of this format (
http://www.wireshark.org/~martinm/mac_pcap_sample_code.c).  There are some
existing parameters in the struct mac_lte_info that you can't currently set
using this framing method - these are optional fields that could be added
later if someone wanted them.  And it is always possible we'd want to add
more (probably optional) fields that aren't yet in mac_lte_info.

What would you recommend I submit?  The header file is the ultimate
authority... I could add something to the wiki (either
wiki.wireshark.org/MAC-LTE or some other page linked to from there), but it
wouldn't add much, and would need to be maintained.

Thanks,
Martin