Wireshark mailing list archives

custom dissector

From: Chad Milam <cdubbm () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 11:26:26 -0500

I've written two relatively simple dissectors and gotten them to work under
some basic conditions. However, the protocols can use random ports (not
inside of a single conversation, but generally speaking).  Also, the
protocols are not easily identified by any marker inside of the protocol,
making heuristics not terribly ideal.  Both of them are based on UDP.

Is there a way I can get the protocol dissector plugin to show up in the
decode as menu, and not have them do any real work until it is selected? I
do not see them in the menu today.

Or is there another way to achieve what is that I am looking to do?

Thanks