Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Transport name resolution considered harmful?

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 11:07:59 -0700

On Apr 23, 2012, at 10:56 AM, Gerald Combs wrote:

Wireshark has transport name resolution enabled by default.
Unfortunately protocol numbers often get mapped to the wrong name, which
can lead to confusion:

https://ask.wireshark.org/questions/10380/what-is-commplex-main

It seems like the "services" file has effectively become "a list of
things not running on the network".

As in "a list of obscure old protocols that nobody remembers any more". :-)

This is especially true for OSes
that use the old-style (1024 - 4999) ephemeral port range. Is there any
reason we shouldn't disable transport name resolution by default for the
1.8 release?

Sounds good to me.

It'd be interesting to see how many dissectors for stuff running atop TCP or UDP are old-fashioned dissectors
registering for hardwired port numbers and how many either

        1) have a port number/numbers preference;

        2) are new-style dissectors that can say "this might be for the port that's nominally mine, but it's not me";

        3) are heuristic dissectors;

and how often "Decode As..." is used to override whatever decision Wireshark makes.

In the early days of TCP/IP, port numbers might have been useful protocol indicators; over time they've become less
useful.