Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 39143: /trunk/epan/dissectors/ /trunk/epan/dissectors/: packet-dvbci.c

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2011 12:31:27 -0700

On Sep 30, 2011, at 12:43 PM, Maynard, Chris wrote:

Well what's the expression?  I guess this is me not seeing the forest through the trees here.  I was so focused on
ENC_NA == ENC_BIG_ENDIAN, I didn't even notice the other ENC's, nor the guint encoding.  I also happened to read
other things like, "In the future" from README.developer, so I didn't even think to look.

I've updated README.developer to reflect current reality.

OK, well that confusion aside, and assuming we want to do *something* to try to avoid situations where ENC_NA is
incorrectly used where ENC_BIG_ENDIAN or [especially] ENC_LITTLE_ENDIAN should be, how does something like the
attached patch grab you?  Keep in mind that this is a VERY INCOMPLETE patch (especially proto.c) and obviously needs
more work; it's just to get the basic idea across.

+ * the same.  We therefore define the encoding argument as follows:
+ *
+ *    32 31        30 - 2        1
+ *  +---+---+--------//--------+---+
+ *  |ENDIAN |   CHAR ENCODING  | H |
+ *  +---+---+--------//--------+---+
+ *
+ *  ENDIAN = Endian as follows:
+ *      00 = Historic.  The H bit determines the endian
+ *      10 = Little Endian
+ *      01 = Big Endian
+ *      11 = N/A or Invalid
+ *  CHAR ENCODING = Character encoding as follows:
+ *      0x00000000 = UTF-8 or ASCII
+ *      0x0EBCD1C0 = EBCDIC
+ *  H = Historic endian bit:
+ *      0 = Big Endian
+ *      1 = Little Endian

"CHAR ENCODING" should be replaced by "TYPE ENCODING"; strings aren't the only types where there is additional encoding
information - we added support for multiple FT_ABSOLUTE_TIME encodings ("struct timespec", with 32-bit seconds followed
by 32-bit nanoseconds, and "NTP time").

The description of the type encoding should probably be left open in that comment, referring to #defines later in the
file, so that the comment doesn't have to be updated if new encodings are added.