Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: simpler dissector architecture for "line based" procotols?

From: Stephen Fisher <steve () stephen-fisher com>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 13:44:57 -0600

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 03:22:44PM -0400, mmann78 () netscape net wrote:

I started thinking that there probably is a more general solution to
implementing filtering for "line based" protocols (dissectors that
look for /r/n and then display each "line" as an "item") .  There are
more than a handful of protocols whose dissector has something close
the following pseudo logic:

I don't think there is a comprehensive way to support these protocols in
Wireshark so far.  Ironically, the simple (for humans) plain-text
protocols that you can telnet to the port and interact with are the most
difficult to handle in Wireshark.