Wireshark mailing list archives

cannot capture packets from wifi router (Netgear WNDR3700).

From: Philip Anil-QBW348 <anil.philip () motorolasolutions com>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 17:58:43 -0500

I am connected to my wifi network (Netgear WNDR3700) using ubuntu 10.10.
The NIC is Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 AGN.The protection is
WPA2-auto. I want to capture packets from it.

$ sudo iwconfig wlan0 mode monitor

$ sudo wireshark

I try to capture from wlan0. Am connected to the wifi network with an
android phone and browsing websites. However I am unable to see
unencrypted http packets. I select Edit|Preferences|Capture|Protocols
and select 802.11 and select check box to yes for 'decrypt packets'.
Still nothing.

I tried again ensuring that I performed the above steps before
connecting to the wifi network from my phone. I see only mdns packets.
They are unencrypted - perhaps they are being decrypted correctly. In
the details pane, I see they are Queries: type PTR, class IN, "QM"
question I browse to a web server from my phone on the same network. I
bring up the website (http clear, not https). I browse successfully, but
do not see any http packets in wireshark.

5 96.017187 10.42.43.1 224.0.0.251

MDNS Standard query PTR _sane-port._tcp.local, "QM" question

To troubleshoot, I try switching the channel from 1,2,3 since in Wifi
Analyzer on my phone, I can see that the network occupies channels 0-3

sudo iwconfig wlan0 channel 1

Still does not work.

Any help appreciated.

Anil