Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: non English characters

From: Maxim Uvarov <muvarov () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 23:16:38 +0400

2011/3/31 Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>:

On Mar 30, 2011, at 11:30 PM, Maxim Uvarov wrote:

Is there any way to make tshark or wireshark to show non English
characters (for example Russian)? Pcap file has write symbols but
after unrolling them with tshark it substitutes dots instead of
original characters. Hex info shows the right information but ascii
has only dots. It is known issue?

In the hex/ASCII dump pane, we will probably never show bytes other than printable ASCII characters as anything other
than "."; there's no easy way to determine the character encoding of particular parts of the hex dump, and there
isn't even a guarantee that there's a one-to-one correspondence between bytes and characters (consider UTF-8, Asian
double-byte character sets, etc.), or even that bytes in the range 0x00 to 0x7F are ASCII - they might be EBCDIC.

However, we *would* like to do a better job of handling non-ASCII characters in strings in the packet list and packet
detail panes, allowing not just UTF-8 and UTF-16 but other encodings for protocols that use them.  We don't have that
yet.

Thanks. Can you please point me to function(or file) were it puts dots
instead of real chars?

--
Best regards,
Maxim Uvarov